Monday, March 22, 2010

Fashion Backward

While, London and Paris may think they lead the world in fashion, I beg to differ. The Japanese got fashion down to a science. While not sporting chiseled greek builds, or family sized rear ends, the Japanese don't necessarily have "out of this world" features to work with. But what they do have is style. While in Japan, my eyes have been treated to quite a workout. Back in America, I passed checking out 75% of the population. Pink sweatpants with matching wristbands and earrings large enough for a circus tiger to leap through is not fashion. I'm also convinced that Asians as a whole, specifically Japanese women, are the most beautiful on this planet. Remember, "it's not what you wear, it's how you wear it." The Japanese can mix and match styles, hats, stockings, and skirts like it's no one's business. A forty year old woman can walk the streets in high heel boots tickling her knees, silver glittery stockings, and a jean miniskirt while looking like a model citizen. While in America, male driven vehicles would slow down to ask, "How much?"

So when I attended a fellow English teacher's high school festival, I jumped at the chance to check out the fashion design club. Though what I saw slammed my non-existent keister onto the floor. These designs were like Easter mixed with Cirque Du Soleil and a smidgen of death. I just hope that the future clothes wearers of Japan stick to the threads sold in stores, and not those in these designs. As a "Project Runway" fan, Tim Gunn would surely be saying "make it work." But, these designs sure are fun! Enjoy.


.


.


.


.


.

No comments: